So the other day we had the hottest day on record in the UK. And the day after that it absolutely bucketed down with rain. Still warm, but soaking wet - what does one wear?! I'm staying with family down in Kent for the moment, and let me tell you I did not have the right clothes in my suitcase for such a day as that. I'm what my Uncle would call a failed shopper - I spend an embarrassing amount of my time browsing/buying/playing with clothes, yet on so many occasions I just don't seem to have quite the right thing to wear. Can anyone else can relate to this? Let me know in the comments!
Now if I were a perfect fashion goddess, what I would have worn in that summer downpour might have looked a little something like this:
1. Cropped J Brand Jeans - I am definitely a jeans girl. It has to be really, really hot to get me in anything else, unless it's an evening out or a special occasion. If it's raining, no matter what the temperature, I personally want to feel a bit more covered up, so jeans it is. I normally buy most of mine from Topshop, but every so often I do love a really good designer pair, and this J Brand "Trouble Maker" style is just gorgeous. I'm in love with the distressed knees and the cropped, raw-edge hems. And at least I'd be getting my ankles out - a definite nod to summer if ever there was one!
2. H&M Silk Blend T-Shirt - I think H&M do the most amazing basic T-shirts. This one looks so luxurious and it's only £14.99! Quite frankly, at that price it would be almost rude not to get one. Or two.
3. Zara Cotton Trench Coat - Now this is perfect for keeping you dry in a summer shower without boiling you to death, and it's so stylish too. I used to have something like this years ago, it was also from Zara and they're still doing this kind of thing incredibly well and at reasonable prices. (We can't all afford Burberry, as much as we would like to!) What remains a mystery to me is why I don't have a coat like this any longer, as I quite clearly need one.
4. Lotus Miami Loafers - I've been in sandals all week because of the heat, but when the rain started they were the last thing I wanted to wear. Wet feet are never fun, unless I'm paddling in the sea on a hot beach, that is! These loafers, on the other hand, are perfect - summery and stylish, but covered up enough to protect you from any nasty puddles.
5. Fulton Umbrella - If it's raining, you need an umbrella. Obvs. I love how this one is a bit more interesting than just plain black, but still neutral enough to go with everything. It's also one of those umbrellas that folds down really small, so it will fit easily in a handbag.
6. Zara Bag - Speaking of handbags, no outfit would be complete without one, and I think we all know by now how obsessed I am with Zara bags. I just think their style and attention to detail are as good as a lot of pricier brands out there, and this one is definitely no exception. I love the structure of it and the colours go perfectly with the rest of the look.
7. Whistles Sunglasses - At some point the rain will hopefully stop and the sun will reappear, in which case it's important to be prepared! When it comes to sunglasses I'm obsessed with both tortoiseshell and cat-eye styles at the moment, so these are pretty much perfect!
What do you wear if it's wet but warm? And what's your favourite item from this list?